Haunted Pt. 1: A Trilogy


            Some people swore the house was haunted, but that just encouraged the obsession.

            It was during the month of October, when the branches would sway and the leaves would fall like rain. That month was particularly warm, humid at times even. It was when all of us kids would hang out outside on some field and talk about whatever crossed our minds.

            Recently, a new girl had moved into town. She was different, not very much like us with pitch-black hair and pale white skin that had probably never seen the sun. Her parents were the only people that resembled her, but they seemed taller, skinnier, and in an eerie way, even ghostlier.

            Their family moved right into the house on 1313 Wild Berry Drive. The house was old and the wind alone could make it creak. The match seemed perfect as the small family of three rarely left their house after four p.m. Their lights were always on, but never any noises, never any shadows, never any signs of life at all, except the incessant meowing from their green eyed black cat that had one eye sewn shut.

I felt bad for the cat at first, but one day when I was walking home from school one day, I saw it on the porch. In my delusions I believed there was no way a heartless family like that could be capable of caring for another being. Perhaps it needed some love. But, when I came near the thing, it growled and hissed, and despite my naïve tender whispers, it jumped right onto my face, biting and clawing at me until my face bled.

From that day on I had a vendetta against the new girl and her strange family, even though I had never even bothered to learn her name since she was ostracized from my group of friends.

After I told my friends what’d happened, they were on my side. Anger boiling within me, I fed pieces to the wolves.

“Her cat probably has rabies, they need to keep that damn thing inside!” I said, recalling the awful incident.

That was when Lacey responded with her plan.

“We need to teach those newbies a lesson. We need to go in that house, and let them know they don’t belong.”

I couldn’t deny the fire in her eyes, and besides, for me, it was personal. So we agreed upon Halloween, the perfect night for our evil deed. We lured the cat outside, we snuck in the back, while the girl ran outside. Lacey decided to be the one who would screech on the top of her lungs, pretending to have a mental breakdown on their front lawn.

Jenny, Alana, and I all snuck in and absolutely trashed the place with our vengeance. There was nothing particularly strange, to our surprise it was like any other house. But before we could really think about what our wreckage had done her parents soon came back in with their cat and her.

We finally realized what we had done; the cops had to be called, and each of our parents gave us a different form of punishment so we could learn from our misdeeds. After that, we were known as the town’s biggest bullies. Nothing was ever the same after that.


Comments

Popular Posts